Precious stones can make for some killer jewelry. Whether you're a jewelry expert or just beginning to dive into creating your personal style, learning about these gemstones can help you appreciate jewelry as a craft.
Along your journey of exploring different kinds of precious stones, you might come across moissanite. It's a gem that's been around for approximately 130 years, discovered by a man named Henri Moissan. After his discovery, he earned a Nobel Prize in Chemistry. Since then, moissanite has been a gemstone that many find attractive.
Are you new to gemstones? You might be wondering how diamonds and moissanite differ from one another. After all, they look somewhat similar to the untrained eye. Today, we'll look at the properties of these two precious stones and the ways they're unique. Then, we'll talk about some of the ways you can incorporate fine jewelry elements into your trademark jewelry.
What Is Moissanite?
This gemstone used to be known as "extraordinary marble" for its unique sheen. Moissanite has a chemical composition of silicon carbide. Visually, it maintains a vitreous luster and a hexagonal crystal system, as well as a greenish-grey streak.
In addition to its physical properties, some also attribute metaphysical properties to this stone. Some people link moissanite with chakra balance, claiming it can help align and unite your chakras and cleanse your mind.
What Is a Diamond?
In case you need a refresher, here are a few properties of diamonds. As you might know, diamonds occur naturally on the earth and are composed of carbon. It's the hardest known material on our planet because of its covalent atomic bonds. It has the highest thermal activity of any natural material.
Visually, this stone features a high refractive index and an adamantine luster. Naturally, diamonds occur in a yellowish tint, but the industry standard for high-value diamonds regards a clear or colorless nature.
What Are the Primary Differences Between These Stones?
We've briefly covered the basics of both these gemstones. Now that you've had an introduction to some of their properties, we can discuss a few of their primary differences.
They Have Differing Price Points
Moissanite and diamond jewelry may look similar, but they vary significantly when it comes to cost. Although moissanite is a relatively rare precious stone, you can purchase it for a fraction of the cost of a diamond of similar size.
If you're a diamond enthusiast, you may prefer to stick with natural diamonds for your jewelry. However, if you're on a budget looking for creative jewelry that incorporates precious stones, moissanite may be a better option for you.
Diamonds Are Harder by Nature
Another area in which these two stones differ is their hardness. The Mohs hardness scale is a popular standard for measuring the density of various gemstones. Diamonds are well-known as the hardest substance on our planet. As such, they maintain a perfect hardness rating of ten on this scale.
On the same scale, moissanite stones measured at 9.25. While this is still high compared to other gemstones, it's a giant leap from a diamond's score of ten.
Moissanites Reflect a More Colorful Spectrum
These stones also vary in the way they interact with light. You might know that diamonds tend to reflect a white spectrum when light shines on them. One characteristic native to moissanite is its ability to exhibit a vivid range of colors as it reflects light.
Moissanite is also double-refractive, meaning it is cut in such a way that it shows an enhanced sparkle compared to diamonds. This more extraordinary fire results in a rainbow of hues reflected when you turn the stone.
Each of These Stones has Differing Color
As we mentioned, high-caliber diamonds maintain a reputation for being colorless in nature. If you're familiar with the four Cs of diamond grading, you may remember that a diamond's color is graded on a scale from D-Z. When a diamond is colorless, it receives a grade of D to indicate that it is of high quality. The closer a diamond moves to yellow, generally, the less valuable it is.
On the other hand, moissanite is known for its slight color. On the whole, this kind of stone usually exhibits a yellowish or greenish tint. Interestingly enough, scientists have nearly perfected the process to move moissanite stones toward a colorless hue to raise their value as an alternative to diamonds.
Tips for Adding Diamonds and Moissanites into Your Jewelry
Who says you can't wear precious stones with your typical jewelry? While you might not opt to wear these pieces every day, you have every right to include top-tier style elements into your more sophisticated looks.
Let's explore a few tips for incorporating these elements into your jewelry collection.
Find an Icon for Inspiration
It's always a good idea to see how the pros are doing it. If you're in need of a bit of direction, try finding a jewelry icon who can inspire you to try different trends. When it comes to diamonds, we took the liberty of looking up a few examples of celebrity men who wear diamonds and precious stones.
- Pharrell: This musician has a reputation for sporting diamonds on several occasions. From wearing yellow-tinted diamond rings to extravagant and unique diamond pendants, he's a trailblazer for including diamonds in creative ways.
- Timothee Chalamet: Timmy's reputation for wearing jewelry is much more understated. During the 2020 Academy Awards, this actor sported a diamond broach on his tailored jumpsuit — a trend not often seen among modern celebrities.
- Daniel Kaluuya: During the 2021 Oscar Awards, this actor added a simple diamond line necklace to his fitted suit, making for a straightforward but sophisticated look.
- Drake: This musician is no stranger to diamonds. He's often worn this variety of precious stones with his looks. Once, he even incorporated a diamond necklace with heart-shaped diamonds throughout.
Don't Put Yourself in a Box
Precious stones are for any lifestyle. When you're thinking of adding more eye-catching stones to your jewelry, you don't have to compartmentalize them if you don't want to. You have every right to wear diamonds or moissanite, even if you're not a celebrity. Believe in your self-worth and invest in the styles that interest you.
Know How To Make Your Stones Look Natural
When trying new styles, feeling a bit awkward isn't uncommon. Luckily, there are ways you can style your diamonds or moissanite stones so that your new pieces look incredibly natural. Let's take a look at a few ways you can make your jewelry look effortless with CRAFTD pieces.
Mix Diamond and Moissanite Pieces with Your Other Jewelry
- Pendants: Let's say you'd like to wear a subtle diamond line necklace to an outing you have coming up. Rather than presenting it alone, you might choose to combine it with a pendant necklace that ties it in with your other jewelry elements. We suggest our CRAFTD Wing Pendant for a piece that can pair well with your new jewelry.
- Chains: What if the precious stones you want to incorporate are bold? You can choose to accent this type of piece with classic layered chains that balance your style. In this case, our Cuban Chain is a terrific piece to start with.
- Rings: An incredible way to include precious stones into your jewelry is with rings. If you've been planning to try out a stunning, tasteful diamond-studded gold statement ring, you can choose to accentuate it with other straightforward gold bands alongside it.
- Bracelets: Do you plan on wearing a set of diamond or moissanite earrings? You can enhance this element by balancing it visually. By adding a staple rope chain bracelet set to your look, you'll be covering multiple jewelry zones to create a well-rounded ensemble.
- Earrings: Perhaps you've decided that a delicate diamond pendant would add the refined touch you desire to your jewelry. You can opt to wear a statement earring that creates an equilibrium within your look. By adding a CRAFTD Crucifix earring to your fit, you'll have a curated jewelry combination that combines classic and bold details.
Choose the Stones That Complement Your Style Most
Adding gemstones into your jewelry combinations can be exciting. As you browse through information about diamonds and moissanite, keep one thing in mind: you're in charge of your essence. Whether you opt for a top-dollar diamond necklace or an affordable moissanite statement ring is entirely up to you.
When you want to blend your new pieces in with classic chains, bracelets, rings, and other jewelry, let us hook you up. At CRAFTD, you'll find timeless and modern jewelry elements that all have one thing in common: they're crafted to last and to compliment the style that's uniquely yours.